Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Truly Inspirational Story - Running

A friend of mine posted a video link called "My 120 pound Journey" on her facebook status the other day with the following message: Ah- this is so great.... to all my fellow runners out there.
Take a look and be ready to be inspired.

**Watch the video now or consider this a spoiler alert!

Pretty amazing, isn't it?! It turns out that Ben, the runner featured in the video, is young, just out of college, and was able to prove what our parents told us "You can do anything if you set your mind to it." He lost 120 pounds, gained confidence, happiness, health, and a relationship. Not to mention his supportive family was at his side through races, marathon, ironman, training, etc.

I started running on a regular basis in the summer of 2002. I was in Hawaii, and had the luxury of running near the ocean, looking out at Diamond Head, Waikiki, and surfers. Weather was mild, and 3 miles, almost daily, passed quickly as I chatted with a friend and we laughed the whole time.

When I went back to business school in Ann Arbor, MI that fall, I had good intentions of sticking with my running, but life happened. Projects, papers, job search, classes, partying - I mean networking -all became priorities. When the snow thawed and school came to a close, I was back outside, running, rollerblading, and increasing my pace (muscle toning and lung capacity). I was very active the summer of 2003, and when I finally moved to Chicago, a friend of mine from business school became my running partner. She was a great partner, very motivational, and would plant these seeds in my head:
"Maybe you'll run a marathon one day." - to which I replied "You're crazy!"
"Let's run 10 more minutes."
"Maybe we should sign up for a 10k."

She did get me to do a 5k, then an 8k, then a 10k, and one day, before I knew it, I signed up for a half marathon. 13.1 miles. I figured if I trained properly and felt good after running it, then I would see if I wanted to sign up for the full marathon.

On June 6, 2004, I ran the St. Charles, IL half marathon. I finished in 2:10:32 (hours:min:sec for you non-racers). There were hills, trails, beautiful quiet neighborhoods, and I felt great! I loved it - talk about a runner's high!

I did have trouble walking up stairs for about 2 days, but then I felt great, so I signed up for the Chicago marathon in October. I trained again, with CARA (Chicago Area Runners Association) and trained for months. I got to the half way point (13 mile run), and found out I needed some emergency surgery (non-running related). The good news was my body was in great shape for major surgery, and I was able to recover fairly quickly. The bad news was I would have to wait to run the marathon.

If I remember correctly, I continued to run the shorter, neighborhood races like the Ravenswood Run, Turkey Trot, Rudolph Ramble and Nike's Run Hit Wonder. It's a fun way to see Chicago, meet people, support local causes, and of course, keep a goal top of mind.

In 2005, I did the marathon training with CARA again. It was a fantastic program, and I still have friends from my running path days. People usually like to run with me, as I'm a chatter. I see a run as an opportunity to get to know someone, catch up with a friend, share my dating life, anything to help the time pass! We had a saying "What happens on the path, stays on the path." Most runners that I've encountered appreciate the entertainment I provide, and love to listen. I should explain that I never considered myself a hard core runner.

When I think of a hard core runner, I think of ripped abs, small body frame, long, lean legs, the kind of runner that zips by you and makes it look effortless. My pace was 9:30 or 10:00 for training runs (slower for long races), and my body looks nothing like a runner.

My friends called me a runner before I did. One day, probably when we were close to 18 miles in our training runs, I finally admitted I was a runner when I heard myself say "It's just 9 miles today." I didn't say it with any sarcasm, just factual and excited that I didn't have to be out running for 2 hours or longer!

The training was perfect timing for me, as my then boyfriend, now husband, had just moved to Miami, FL for a job. He was training by himself down there (it was his first marathon too), and I had the support of a training group in Chicago. I think marathon training helped me curb the stress of a long-distance relationship, and focus on completing the marathon instead of thinking about my move down there (I moved a week after the marathon).

Training went well, I did most of my long runs, and sometimes I did them with my husband in Miami. I remember we did our 10 miler on a treadmill because it was just too hot and humid to do it outside. I noticed the weight dripping off of me when I hit 16 and 18 miles. My pants were hanging longer as I lost weight in my waist and tush. I was eating healthy, training at least 3 times a week, stretching, and just enjoying the whole experience.

Race day came, October 2005, and I was nervous. I kept telling myself it's just a training run, but we had never done more than 20 miles. The marathon is 26.2 miles - but I knew mind over matter, and that I could do it. The weather was perfect, and the first 13 miles were a breeze. I felt something in my hip, but was able to run another 5 miles without any real issue. I think the road pavement affected my hip; normally we trained on a running path (sometimes dirt path) which is softer than road pavement.

After 18 miles, I was feeling the pain, but I continued. A friend joined me the last 5 miles or so. I had run the last 5 miles with her the previous year. She called me her running angel, and she wanted to return the favor. I was so thankful that she was there. I was spent, totally zoned out, looking for cheers from the crowd to help motivate me. I was pretty much walking at this point, although it felt like my feet were running. I was trying to listen to what my friend was saying as a distraction. It was the hardest 5 miles I've ever run in my life.

But I did it. I finished the Chicago marathon in 4:47:15. I was thrilled! Still have the medal to prove it.

After completing the marathon, I moved to Miami and continued to run about once or twice a month for about 6 months. I was burnt out and eventually stopped running. My body started to show that I stopped running. I never gained a lot of weight, but I've fluctuated 10-20 pounds over the years.

A co-worker of mine got me to sign up for the Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon last year. I got serious about training one month before, and was lucky that I didn't injure myself. I actually had a great run, 2:22:33 - which would have been a few seconds shorter if I didn't stop to plant a big ole smooch on my husband who came out to cheer me on near the finish line! It was a beautiful day, perfect blue skies, and I had a great music mix on my ipod that had me pumped! I felt that I was again, a runner.

Once again, work hours got in the way of running, and I was lucky if I got a run or two in each month.

So here I am, more than a year later. I've been trying to start running again since the Spring, and without much success. I'm frustrated because I've had the time over the summer to get back into running - but my heart wasn't in it. I would notice my clothes were tighter, but I didn't want to admit that I was gaining weight. I've been watching Thintervention with Jackie Warner on Bravo, and eating ice cream. Terrible, I know!

And then I saw the video "My 120 pound journey" and I got inspired. I only have 15 pounds to lose. That's nothing compared to what Ben has done. It was time to just do it - stop making excuses, and just get out there and do the tough work, no matter how long it takes. Yesterday I did 4 miles in 1 hour 20 minutes. Today I did 4 miles in an hour. I realized talk radio is not good for me to run to - I need a good fast beat. Tomorrow I have plans to walk with a friend, so I may not go for a run in the morning. I'm going to take each day one at a time.

I am sick of working hard, seeing results, and then getting lazy. It's not worth it. So this is the final time that I'm going to work really hard, and then I'll figure out a maintenance mode because I know I'll need to keep exercising, and I'm committed to it. This is my health, my energy, my well-being, and my body. I need to take care of it now, so that I have a long, healthy life ahead of me for many years to come. I am the only one that can make that change, and I know my family and friends will support me in my own journey.

Maybe one day I'll have ripped abs and breeze past you on the running path - making it look so easy!

Tell me what works for you. How do you stay motivated to work out? What inspires you to keep your body healthy? What has worked for you in the past? Are there any aspiring marathoners out there?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lexi! I'm so glad you liked my youtube post. It was quite inspiring (plus I'm kind of a sucker for a coldplay song). I was just thinking of you while I was out running this morning- thinking I have to call you to schedule a morning run before it's too cold and/or you have a job!

    Anyhow, what keeps me motivated is how great I feel when I'm done running. It's also super motivating for me to constantly be trying new things with my workouts and "mixing and matching", if you will. I recently added spinning to my routine 2x/week, and started doing 2.5 miles of running prior to my barbell class on tues/thurs mornings. I like the feeling of knowing I challenged myself to more than I did last week, the week before, etc. I finally decided (after saying I doubt I'd ever do one) to train for a triathlon in the spring.
    Happy Trails,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post! Really enjoyed it, good luck getting more back into running. I recently saw `My 120 pound journey` too. So inspiring. Have had my own couple year hiatus from running due first to injury, then pregnancy (am now the proud mom of a two week old son!) and hope to slowly get back into it! I have done one marathon too, and a few half marathons, but all my attempts at a 2nd marathon have been thwarted. Hope this leg of your running goes well. Best wishes ~Annie Tubman

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea - did your husband tell you I called you last weekend for a run? I love your motivational methods - and I'm so proud of you for training for a tri! That's awesome!

    @Annie - Congrats on your baby boy! That's wonderful news. Marathons do take a lot of time, and so do babies. I would strongly suggest getting a solid baby jogger. I have a jeep brand model, and I can't stand it. It's very heavy, bulky, hard to transport (in car or up and down the stairs). I've heard the Bob is good (and you can get the baby in before 6 months because of a car seat snap in, if I recall correctly). Best of luck to you - get some sleep, let your body heal, and then train for your 2nd marathon!

    ReplyDelete